Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Was scattered through Romans this morning, and came upon this:

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves. Let each of us please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For Christ did not please himself, but as it is written, "The reproaches of those who reproached you fell on me." For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures, we might have hope."
-Romans 15: 1-4


And it seemed really relevant to stuff happening this week. But before I really could think about it, my mind made me think of my friend Becky. For those of you that don't know the fair Miss. Brewer (I shall continue to use this name until December), its really unfortunate. I could talk about how wonderful she is, and the amazing things she's been doing in Argentina. But mostly I wish you knew the kind of heart Becky has, and how, so often I wish I thought about people the same way she does. And how, a few years ago I really needed a push in the right direction she was there, loving me enough to help me through it and helping me too see my own error. And that's just amazing.

I think its interesting that when I reading scripture at first, I felt like I could put myself in the position of the strong... but then, not of my own volition, I was reminded that I was once the weak. Oh perspective.

reproach is an interesting word.

re·proach
tr.v. re·proached, re·proach·ing, re·proach·es
  1. To express disapproval of, criticism of, or disappointment in (someone).
  2. To bring shame upon; disgrace.

and then i included the last verse. well. because i like that the Bible affirms itself.

and that's all I have this morning. -mere*

No comments: